So your party doesn't end up in a bust....
or so you don't come uninvited or improperly dressed....
Here are a couple party Do's and Don'ts for you!
1. Always remember, the host's mood sets the tone.
2. Have a stiff drink before anyone arrives. If you are having fun, everyone will have fun.
3. Don't come to a party empty-handed.
4. Keep hors d'oeuvres to one bite. No one wants to talk or kiss with a mouthful.
5. Never, never run out of ice.
6. Always, always make introductions. If you're going to make a guest feel alienated, why invite them?
7. You should aways have a cold bottle of bubbly stashed in your refrigerator in case friends stop by, and a bottle of something sparkly for nondrinkers.
8. Always start with an empty dishwasher.
9. Seat guests next to someone they know and someone they'd enjoy meeting.
10. Light up the backyard so there won't be a big black hole outside your window.
11. Don't tidy up the table too soon. Once the plates are cleared away, often so is the mood.
12. Put individual guest napkins in the powder room (prevents yucky over-used guest towels). And a soap pump (no gooey soaps).
13. Music should be just loud enough so that people have to talk above it slightly.
14. In case of an entertaining crisis, take a deep breath and ask, 'what would Auntie Mame do?' If a guest accidently breaks something regardless of value, simply say, 'Thank you. I've been looking for a reason to replace that old thing.'
15. Do always include the single friend or extra surprise guest, even if it's 13 at your table. you can always make room, slice the roast a little thinner.
~101 Party Do's & Don'ts~
House Beautiful November 2010