How much do I love my family? So much that I made a cake that had a special part for each one of them! Cheesecake for Lindsey, PB and chocolate for Pat, Chocolate for mom, and well, dad will eat anything I bake! :)
I made this cake over the course of THREE days…it was worth every minute, though!
So, here goes….
Day ONE: Cheesecake
20 ounces cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 Tbsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Boil pot of water on stove.
2. Meanwhile, beat together cream cheese and sugar until fluffy. Add in vanilla and salt. Add eggs, one at a time. Add sour cream.
3. Cut parchment paper in a circle and line the bottom of the spring form pan.
4. Wrap the bottom half of the pan with aluminum foil.
5. Pour mixture into pan.
6. Place pan in roasting pan and pour boiling water in roasting pan so that it comes half way up around spring form pan.
7. Bake until just set in center, about 45 minutes.
8. Remove pan from roasting pan and allow to cool for 20 minutes. Run a pairing knife around the edge and allow to cool completely.
9. Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight.
Day TWO: Chocolate Cake
1 3/4 cup flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup freshly brewed hot coffee
(this would only mean that I must bake this part of the cake with my morning coffee)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour two 9 inch round baking pans.
2. In mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla.
4. With mixer on low speed, slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry.
5. With mixer still on low, add coffee and mix well, scraping sides with a spatula.
6. Pour the mixture equally into two round pans.
7. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan for 30 minutes, and then turn them out to cool completely.
Day THREE: Frosting and Assembly
8 ounces cream cheese
3 cups powdered sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup Peanut Butter (not natural)
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup heavy cream
1. Beat cream cheese and PB in electric mixer on medium speed. Add salt and vanilla.
2. Alternating, add powdered sugar and heavy cream until you reach a desired consistency.
(Use this immediately or refrigerate until ready to use)
And time for the assembly of this bad boy!
Place one round cake on a cake plate. Top with frosting.
Remove cheesecake from refrigerator, unwrap, remove from pan and remove parchment paper. Place cheese cake on top of frosting layer.
If cheesecake is too large, use a knife and cut around sides to line evenly with cake.
Place top layer of cake on top of cheesecake. Coat with thin layer of frosting to act as crumb coating.
Refrigerate for about 30 minutes and then frost with as much remaining frosting as necessary.
Top with whatever your heart desires!
I decided to shave some chocolate off of a chocolate bar (using my carrot peeler) for the top and mini chocolate chips for the sides.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.