Inspired from, yes, Pintrest, I tried out this warm recipe on a chilly night after work last week. Goal: healthy and warm up the house. Bonus: Tasty. Check, check, and check!
1 can chopped chili peppers
1 red pepper, chopped
1/2 head cauliflower, chopped
1 small sweet potato, chopped (I kept skin)
1 small onion, chopped
1 can corn, no added salt
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 cups pico de gallo, or fresh salsa
2 big handfuls of baby spinach
~8 tortillas, halved
2 cups shredded cheese (I tend to use mozzarella on these types of dishes)
Sour cream, if desired
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly grease a cooking 9 X 13 cooking dish.
2. Place chili peppers, red pepper, cauliflower, sweet potato, onion and corn in dish. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with cumin, garlic, S&P. Mix well with spoon until distributed evenly.
3. bake veggies for 30-40 minutes, until lightly browned, while stirring every 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, combine salsa and cilantro in bowl.
5. Lightly grease a 8 X 8 pan. Spread 1/4 cup of salsa mix on bottom of pan. Add layer of tortilla pieces.
6. Once veggies done baking...
…top with 1/3 of veggies….
….half of black beans...
…handful of spinach...
…and top with cheese.
7. Make second layer of tortilla, salsa, veggies, black beans, spinach, cheese. Top with layer of tortillas, salsa, veggies and cheese.
8. Cover with aluminum foil until ready to eat (if ready, decrease oven temp to 350).
9. When ready to eat, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
10. Bake for 20 minutes, then remove foil and bake another 10 minutes, until cheese is melted and everything is heated through.
11. Cool for about 5 minutes before serving.