I took this a couple weeks ago to our Christmas Brunch with the babies. Although, we were too busy playing and didn't to taste it as much, I shared the wealth with other friends and family who are asking for the recipe as its so moist and delicious!
1/2 unsalted butter, softened
zest from one large lemon
3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp sugar
additional 1 Tbsp sugar (for sprinkling on top)
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour (minus 1/4 cup to toss in with berries)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9 in square pan and set aside.
2. Cream together butter, lemon zest, and 3/4 cup and 2 Tbsp sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla.
3. Mix flour (minus 1/4 cup), baking powder and salt.
4. Add flour mixture to wet ingredients and alternate with buttermilk.
5. Mix together berries with additional 1/4 cup flour. Fold mixture into wet mix with spatula carefully.
6. Spread batter into prepared pan.
7. Bake for about 35 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
8. Allow to cool and serve warm or cool.