As you might remember, I'm attempting to try a new recipe each week this year.
This week I tried this and it was delicious!
2 1/2 cup water
1 cup carrot, chopped
1 cup asparagus, sliced
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup orzo pasta
12 ounces of large shelled and deveined shrimp
1 Tbsp EVOO
1 tsp lemon zest, divided
1/4 tsp dried thyme
pinch of red pepper flakes
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 Tbsp parsley
1. Bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan set over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, asparagus, and peas. Boil for 3 minutes. Remove the vegetable with a slotted spoon to a medium bowl.
2. Add the orzo to the water and bring back to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, until the water is absorbed and the orzo is just cooked, about 15 minutes. ( I had to add a little bit of water here so it wouldn't burn and still cook thoroughly)
3. Meanwhile, combine the shrimp in a medium bowl with the oil, 1/2 tsp lemon zest, thyme and pepper flakes.
4. Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until hot enough that a drop of water sizzles. Add the shrimp and sear until browned and cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add 3 Tbsp of lemon juice and stir with a flat-edged spatula to deglaze the pan and coat the shrimp.
5. Fold the vegetables, red bell peppers, parsley, the remaining 1 Tbsp of lemon juice, and the remaining 1/2 tsp lemon zest into the orzo and spoon into a deep serving dish. Top with the shrimp and drizzle with the pan juices.
PS…I was actually cooking this at my parents house this weekend. After having showers and getting all nice new kitchen stuff, have you tried using your mom's stuff recently? I told my mom I think we need to throw her generation showers so they can revamp their cooking essentials! I think it could be the new trend ;)