Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Tuesday Treats: Sweet Southern Tea

OK, I'm not making sweet southern tea, but I was reminded of one of my very best friends who lives in Nashville today and decided to name the post for her!

When I first arrived in Knoxville, Tennessee for college, I heard everyone ordering "sweet tea." Growing up my mom always made "iced tea" at home, but I wasn't quite sure what sweet tea was, as I thought everyone just called it "iced tea." Thankfully, I met one of the sweetest girls I know who has become one of my very best friends, and throughout my college years I not only learned that in Tennessee they have tea, or sweet tea while us "yankees" had iced tea, sweetened or unsweetened, but I also learned what a buggie was, what "fixin' to" meant, and so much more. I have a much broader vocabulary now after college, thanks to my southern friends!

Anyways, I never thought I liked iced tea, but yesterday it was so nice out, that I ordered iced tea, yes, "iced tea, unsweetened" instead of coffee when meeting with a friend. Added a little lemon and splenda and what do you know, it was great! So after two cups, I decided I would try to make it myself at home. I realize most people know how to make iced tea, but in case you are like me, and this will be your first time, here are the easy to follow steps.

Things You Will Need:
Tea Bags
Water
Ice
Pitcher
Pot
Sweetener (optional)

Instructions
1. Pour 4 cups of water into a pot and let it come to a boil.
2. Remove from heat and add 4-5 tea bags and let sit for about 5 minutes.
3. Fill pitcher half way with ice. Fill with tap water half way. Add tea and fill pitcher with water to top. Stir and refrigerate.
4. Pour a glass, add some lemon, sweetener and any garnish you desire.
5. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment