Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Cake Balls!!!

This recipe is not only easy and and delicious, but also makes for a beautiful presentation! I searched a couple different recipes, all of which were pretty similar, but I changed a few things around. Try them out -I guarentee you'll love them and so will your guests!

Ingredients
1 box of cake mix
ingredients for cake mix
1 can of ready made icing (fancy, I know, right?)
2 bags white chocolate melting chips


Follow the directions on the back of the cake box to make your cake in a 9 x 13 pan. Instead of using vegetable oil and water, I used butter and milk to make it taste more like a homemade cake (that could be all in my head, though, do as you please). Let cake cool overnight with a tea towel over top. The next morning, slice cake into 4 seperate sections. Take one section at a time, place in large mixing bowl, and use two forks to break the cake up into tiny crumbs. The more crumbs, the better!


After you have crumbled up all 4 sections, you will have a big bowl like this. I know, doesn't look very appetizing, but I swear, work with me...it will get better!
Add 3/4 of the can into the crumbs. Yes, just plop it right in there! (Many recipes call for the whole can, but I think it would get to goopy, and decided to go for just 3/4 of the can). Mix the icing through so you cannot see any of the icing. After all is mixed through, use a melon baller or cookie scoop and scoop out a small amout of cake mix. Shape each into little balls with your hands and place on baking sheet lined with waxed paper. After all of your cake mix has been used, place baking sheet in the freezer, uncovered, for at least one hour. (I was going out for a while, so I placed them in the refrigerator for a couple hours and they did fine.)

Next, when the cake balls are nice and firm, melt the chocolate melting chips. (I do this by popping them in a microwaveable bowl, but you can certainly get out the double boiler and go that route, too.) I also added a little vegetable shortening, like Crisco, to the chocolate and stirred for a more glossy finishing on the cake balls. That's optional, though. Now, for the tricky part. I wish I had taken pictures, but I was so caught up in the moment, I completely forgot! I gently dropped each ball into the bowl of melted chocolate. Then I used a fork to scoop up the ball from underneath and used a spoon to scoop chocolate on top to cover the ball and then gently placed the ball back down on the baking sheet (which is, by the way, still covered with waxed paper). Do this for all your cake balls. You can also gently drop the ball in and roll around, but be careful the cake does not come apart, or you will have bumpy cake balls! Also, if your chocolate gets too thick, you can add a little shortening to it and place back in microwave to reheat. After all the balls have been nicely covered, seperate the chocolate into two different bowls. Add food coloring to each one. Put colored chocolate in a ziplock bag, cut a tiny hole, and go to town with your beautiful drizzling designs! I made pink and green for easter, but you can customize your colors to any celebration you are hosting!

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment