A couple weeks ago I hosted a little lingerie shower/dinner for our beautiful bride, Leslie. I was in charge of the desserts…duh! With the weather turning into beautiful spring, I decided there was no better dessert but my Mom's Strawberry Shortcake. It's by far my favorite cake!
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla
1 stick butter
1 cup milk
2 containers of thawed Cool Whip
strawberries, sliced and halved
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease and flour 2 round cake pans.
3. Combine first 5 ingredients and beat until well combined.
4. In saucepan, melt butter. Add milk and bring to a boil.
5. Carefully add the butter mixture to the cake mix and beat well.
6. Pour mix into greased and floured pans.
7. Bake for about 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
8. Let cool completely in pans.
9. Turn pans over once cool to release cake. Slice each cake with a serrated knife, making two round layers, or 4 layers all together.
10. Slice strawberries for layers and half for the top of the cake.
11. Place one layer of cake on plate, top with cool whip. Add sliced strawberries. Place second layer on top. Repeat with each layer. For top layer, instead of sliced strawberries, decorate with halved berries.
12. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
|Photo courtesy of e.photography|
We did a pretty good job finishing it up!
|photo courtesy of e.photography|