I made this for dessert for our "Dinner Club," aka, best way to schedule a monthly date with the girls!
The original recipe was from Southern Living, but I critiqued it to make it a little easier for the working girl!
2 pt vanilla ice cream
Vanilla Wafter Crust
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter, chopped
2 Tbsp lemon zest
1 cup fresh lemon juice
(about 6 lemons)
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
16 vanilla wafers
1. Stir together sugar, butter, lemon zest, and lemon juice in large heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, 3-4 minutes or until sugar dissolves and butter melts.
2. Whisk about 1/4 of hot sugar mixture gradually into eggs; add egg mixture to remaining hot sugar mixture, whisking constantly.
3. Cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, 15 minutes or until mixture thickens and coats back of a spoon.
4. Remove from heat; cool completely (about one hour), stirring occasionally.
(You may store in airtight container in refrigerator up to 2 weeks)
5. Let ice cream stand at room temp about 5 minutes or just until soft enough to spread.
6. Spoon 1 pt ice cream into Vanilla Wafer Crust.
7. Top with 3/4 cup lemon curd mixture; repeat with remaining ice cream and lemon curd.
8. Gently swirl ice cream and curd with knife.
9. Insert vanilla wafers around edge of pie.
10. Cover and freeze for 8 hours.
11. Top with Cool Whip.